Our instrument VIP-Gran is ready for parabolic flights in Bordeaux next weeks. The parameters of the experiments have been fixed at the Cologne meeting last September. plan :
- Day 1: Segregation of small and large ITO coated glass beads: Thanks to the transparency of the particles demixing can be highlighted in the system. Moreover, convection is studied for granular media exposed to asymmetric excitation.
- Day 2: Thermodynamical limit: Increasing the cell size while maintaining a constant packing fraction triggers cluster formation. This counterintuitive phenomenon is linked to finite sizes effects present in our system.
- Day 3: Mixing anisotropic particles: We study a mixture of spherical beads and rods. Segregation coupled to the apparition of layers within the bulk may lead to ordered arrangements of the elongated particles.Collecting data is of crucial interest for confirming our recent discoveries : convection in granular gases and segregation phenomena in space.
Training with the VIP-GRAN instrument (developed by DTM Tech.) will be performed in Modena (Italy) from 12th to 14th oct. 2016.
The Space Grains collaboration will use the Vip-Gran instrument during the 65th ESA Parabolic Flight Campaign, October 24 to November 04, 2016 at Novespace, Bordeaux (France)
The aim of the workshop is to discuss the scientific results obtained from the 2nd Parabolic Flight Campaign (PFC64-April 2016) of the VIPGRAN experiment. We will also fix the parameters for the next PFC65 of November 2016.
The meeting took place at DLR Headquarters, Linder Höhe 51147 Cologne (Germany) from the 19th (2pm) to 20th (5pm) of September 2016.
21 Sept. 2016 – The experiments selected for PFC65 during this meeting are:
- Granular convection,
- Segregation for highly heterogeneous granular media,
- Quasi-elastic limit of a dissipative granular gas.
We performed new experiments within the April ESA campaign. The instrument is really improved thanks to DTM ! From the first observations, we obtained clustering and segregation. Lots of data will now be analyzed for quantifying the phenomena.
The Space Grains collaboration will use the Vip-Gran instrument during the 64th ESA Parabolic Flight Campaign, 18 – 29 April 2016, Novespace, Bordeaux (France). The selected experiment is entitled: “PS-64/6 – Vibration-Induced Phenomena in Granular Materials (VIP-GRAN) – Space Grains“
The aim of the workshop is to discuss the scientific data obtained from the first Parabolic Flight Campaign (Nov. 2015) of the VIPGRAN experiment. We will also fix the parameters of the experiment for the next Parabolic Flight Campaign taking place in April 2016.
The meeting will be held at the Physics Building B5a, located on the Sart Tilman campus of the University of Liège (Belgium) from 9 AM to 17 PM, the 25th of february 2016.